Friday, October 6, 2017


Hello, everyone.  Hope all is well.  This is a note from my personal Bible study that finds grace in the contrast between two sentences Jesus spoke to Peter and the disciples during the Last Supper.

Luke 22

29  And I bestow upon you a kingdom, just as My Father bestowed one upon Me, 
30  that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel."
31  And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat.

The contrast is astonishing.  Jesus, in the face of betrayal and disaster, speaks of the Kingdom the Father has given Him.  He grants to the disciples the honor of judging the twelve tribes of Israel.  (There are some who believe that we will be assigned a tribe when we enter heaven.  I don't know that for sure, but it is interesting.)  The very next verse, Jesus warns Peter that Satan has asked for him in order to "sift like wheat".  Apparently, Satan, having successfully tempted Judas, wanted to go for the rest of the disciples.
Jesus predicts Peter's soul-crushing failure, yet does not retract the honor of judging one of the twelve tribes.  In the Book of Hebrews (12:25-29) the followers of Christ are promised a Kingdom, one that will never be shaken (it assumes that everything else in this life will be shaken), and if Peter is an example, such grace is not withdrawn even when we fail, and fail miserably.  There is a comfort and a confidence in that grace, that I am still privileged to be part of this Kingdom, even though I can get discouraged, be weak, make foolish choices.  I'm not saying there is no place for repentance, I just find great grace in the contrast of these words.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Danger of a Hard Heart Ezekiel 11:19-20

    “ Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give th...