Sunday, August 2, 2020

Family Can Be a Source of Joy or of Misery 2 Samuel 18

 2 Samuel 18:33Then the king was deeply moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept. And as he went, he said thus: "O my son Absalom--my son, my son Absalom--if only I had died in your place! O Absalom my son, my son!"

Note:  Like the misery of losing the infant son who was the first child of David and Bathsheba, (2 Samuel 12:23) now David mourns over a son who hated him, plotted against him for years and sought to overthrow him and have him killed.  How many parents long for and dearly love a grown child who does not love them back?  I remember a couple, now long gone, who endured the conversation with a son who announced he was going to see America on his motorcycle, and he was never coming home.  I know also of a fellow minister, also long gone, whose wife and grown daughter abandoned him and His God.  The church became his only family for the rest of his life.  Family can be the source of great joy or the source of great misery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Danger of a Hard Heart Ezekiel 11:19-20

    “ Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give th...