Saturday, June 3, 2017

Hi, everyone.  I'm still spending time meditating on Luke 19:26, which says-

"For I say to you,that to everyone who has will be given; and from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him."

It's a statement by Jesus in His parable of the faithful and unfaithful servants.  In it He tells the story of a ruler who gives money to three servants and commands them to trade and make a profit.  Two of them do so, but the third, because he fears (and despises) the ruler, simply buries the money.  The import of the message is that we should make the most of whatever gifts we have been given, including gifts of the Holy Spirit, by investing in the lives of others and in the Gospel.  Failure to do so can mean that we will lose what we have.  

I've found that Jesus made this, or similar statements, in other parts of the Gospels as well, and I find pondering them to be instructive.  This is what He said earlier in Luke's Gospel

Luke 8:16-18 speaks of "taking head how you hear" and setting our lamp on a lampstand.

"No one, when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a vessel or puts it under a bed, but sets it on a lampstand, that those who enter may see the light.  For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known and come to light.  Therefore take heed how you hear.  For whoever has, to him more will be given; and whoever does not have, even what he seems to have will be taken from him."


Other verses in the Gospels associate "light" with good works, and may mean being public in our obedience to Jesus.  In this day and age, even going to church is a sort of witness, for it is no longer culturally required.  "Hear" can mean to understand and obey, not merely listen, so I should be conscious that my obedience to Jesus, or lack thereof, will ultimately come to light.  That should be in the back of my mind as I go about my day, and as I reflect upon it as the day closes and night falls.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Danger of a Hard Heart Ezekiel 11:19-20

    “ Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give th...