Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Hello, everyone.
I haven't posted since, June, so I hope you've had a good Summer.
I've just finished pondering Luke 21-a passage too long to put in this post, so I'll let you look it up if you like.  In the chapter Jesus first notes the sacrificial gift of a poor widow.  He stated that she gave more than all the rest because she had so little in the first place.  This led to a discussion of the temple, and when Jesus predicted its destruction, the disciples were interested and concerned.

Jesus gives a prophetic lesson that struck me on a couple of points.
First, people going through this terrible time run the risk of loosing everything.  Even family ties are broken and people are betrayed even by those they trusted and loved.  No place is safe, and for many the best option is to head for the hills, a scary thought unless one knows how to survive in the wilderness.  It struck me how people, living during times prophesied in Scripture or during any time of upheaval, could experience this.  They lose everything and don't know what to do or who to trust.  I've been told that I can always trust in the Lord Jesus.  It seems this passage teaches me that I must be ready to count on Him when everything else is gone.  Can I count on Him when there is nothing left and my life is in shambles?

I noted that Jesus gave two instructions in this passage; "don't be deceived" and "watch yourselves."  Phony friends and phony Christs are out there and they seem to show up when we are troubled or weak.  I also need to be careful to avoid becoming self absorbed during trial.  I can miss the work of God if I'm too wrapped up in myself.

This brings my attention to the weather
The weather in Iowa (where I live) is serene right now, but we seem to be in the minority considering the troubles facing other parts of the nation.  I've heard of severe heat in California, fires in Montana and Oregon, and of course the terrible troubles in Texas.  Now another hurricane, Irma, is heading for the east coast.  I need to pray for all the suffering people in our country, and specifically ask the Lord how I can be helpful in the best way possible.  I also need to consider what to do if trouble comes my way.  As mentioned before, the weather in Iowa is fine, but Winter is coming.  We'll see.  Be careful and take care of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Danger of a Hard Heart Ezekiel 11:19-20

    “ Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give th...