Wednesday, December 29, 2021

I Believe in a God Who Builds Roads

 

I Believe in a God Who Builds Roads

 

Isaiah 41:3  "The voice of one crying in the wilderness 'Prepare the way of the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God.'"

 

John the Baptist

We credit John the Baptist as fulfilling this statement with his ministry calling for repentance in preparation for the arrival of Jesus, and then declaring Jesus as the Messiah when He arrives (Malachi 3:1; Matthew 3:3; Mark 1:3; Luke 3:4-6; John 1:23; 29-34).  For a long time I looked at the call to "build a highway" also as symbolic of prayer and introspection, a self-examination leading to repentance in an effort to be prepared to meet the Savior, and be ready at any moment to do so if at all possible.  That seemed fitting based on what I know of John's ministry so I still think that there is some truth in this view of the passage. 

 

Roads are both literal and symbolic

Royal highways, both literal and symbolic, were a part of ancient life.  The "King's Highway" is mentioned in Isaiah 35:8 which I would consider analogous to the "narrow gate" of which the Lord Jesus spoke (Matthew 7:13-14),  and the people on the King's highway are holy and strive to reflect holiness by righteousness.  But limiting my thoughts on Isaiah 41:3 to the above assumes that I, or we, are capable of "building a highway to the Lord".  It implies a righteousness of works, that we can somehow become good enough to earn salvation and acceptance from a holy God, whereas Scripture makes it clear that such salvation and acceptance is by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8-10).  But there's more to this verse that speaks to that marvelous grace.

 

Our God builds roads

In ancient times, it was possible that people in a remote part of a kingdom would work to build a usable road to welcome royalty to the region, but perhaps it was more likely that the King would send crews ahead of him to build a road to the region in order for Him to visit as he pleased.  This caused me to consider this verse from a different point of view.  What if I am in such a state that I cannot reach my King, but my King has promised to reach me?  It fits the context of Isaiah's promise that God will reach Israel, even in exile in Babylon.  I take comfort that we follow a Savior who can reach us no matter where we are or how helpless we have become.  I need to do what I can, but the road is built not by me to my Savior, but by my Savior to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Danger of a Hard Heart Ezekiel 11:19-20

    “ Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give th...